New Years’ resolutions come in all shapes and forms; we are here to pitch for a resolution to declutter. Sometimes all it takes to be healthier, happier, and more relaxed is to live in a clutter-free environment, but we know it’s not easy. Here are some creative ideas on how to declutter:
- We have a strategy: if you haven’t used it for more than a year, you probably won’t need it. So, do yourself a favour and sort through that one box you’ve been meaning to sort through; and don’t forget to recycle if you can!
- Give something away every day (or even every week). That’s 365 (or 52) things you can pass on to someone in need!
- If your closet needs decluttering, grab a garbage bag, and fill it with items you haven’t worn in the past year. Declutter by type; that is, start with shoes, move on to jackets, then pants, then shirts, and so on. Follow this up with a trip to the donation centre or the consignment store.
- A good trick is to declutter a little bit every day rather than booking off a whole day for decluttering. Set aside 5 minutes per day.
- Make sure that you’re finding homes for the things you’re not getting rid of instead of moving them out of sight. This helps you actually deal with the clutter instead of forgetting about it. Putting things in boxes and storing them away, or what’s better known as out of sight, out of mind, could make decluttering even harder in the future.
- Put things in jars! If you need more information on how to organize your pantry, check out this blog post.
- Finally, buy what you actually need. The easiest way to declutter is to only buy what you need and find a home for it right away.